Tuesday 9 September 2014

From Brides to Beer!


One thing in common with most Irish Weddings and indeed, is the case with most Irish social occasions, is that there is always a suitable amount of beverages involved, normally of the alcoholic variety! From the chilled bottle of pink champagne at the Brides house to the various cocktails laid on by most hotel venues, we like to celebrate with one of our favorite tipples.  This summer was an absolutely terrific one and any kind of liquid, alcoholic or otherwise, was keenly dropped back by many a guest at the various weddings I covered due to the unusual heat.  I have been known to knock back a well deserved pint of diet Coke at some weddings myself if there is any chance of me getting near the bar and this summer I added to Coke's revenue on many occasions!

Although I am not a beer drinker, I do appreciate the look, not to mention the mental effect the cool liquid must produce on a scorching day. I also appreciate the fact that so many recent Irish entrapanuers have started up production of craft beers manufacturing on this small island.  This is something I can really appreciate not just from the new business point of view but from the craft involved in turning out a product that is unique to the market in a highly competitive industry.

Its a little bit like the photography industry in a way.  If I could make an analogy with the drinks industry, it may be something like this: You have your run of the mill 'Jameson whiskey' photographers and then you have the 'Stitzel Weller Small Batch Bourbon' photographers!  These are the discerning photographers who are always looking to try to reach the peak of their profession and really want their work to be the best it can be and to stand out from the mundane.  I would like to think that I am in the latter category!

Anyway, as this post heading says 'From Brides to Beer' you may be under the impression that beer is somehow involved...and you would be correct!  However its not drinking it I am concerned with, but photographing it.  I have been doing some recent test shots for a new craft beer manufacturer here in Wexford for their social media outlets and to help them generate a following and basically get word of their business venture out there.

Although I am not a confirmed advertising or still life photographer, I used to undertake some advertising work in the past so the knowledge on product shot photography is still buried somewhere in my short term memory! Taking images of bottles and glass is one of the hardest areas of product photography to get right but, just as with my wedding and portrait photography, I really enjoy the challenge of turning out something a little different!

So here are some of the test images I undertook for the Blackstairs Brewing Company and with various advert copy included.






No comments:

Post a Comment